What can Brown do for you?
By Karyn Brownlee | BrighterWalk.com
Posted 1:57 am on January 20, 2010
Massachusetts believes Scott Brown (R) can do much for them as their new U.S. Senator, as evidenced by the outcome of Tuesday’s election. Brown’s victory is big news, given that Attorney General Martha Coakley (D) had a 31 point lead in this Senate race just a month ago, and Barak Obama carried the state of Massachusetts by 26 percentage points in the Presidential election. But on this historic day, a once brilliant-blue state bled bright-red.
This was not just a big win; it was a gigantic upset. Karl Rove, Former Senior Advisor to President Bush, described it to Greta Van Susteren on Fox News’ On the Record: “This is a shocker. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this in one single contest that is going to have as big a ramification for America as this one does.”
This election has changed the political landscape in Washington. Replacing the late Ted Kennedy (D), Brown’s presence in the Senate means the absence of the Democrat’s prized filibuster-proof 60-seat majority. It also sends a clear reminder to the political elite – America belongs to the people.
Called a “Man of the People”, Brown will sit in the people’s seat in the Senate. He promises to represent the people’s views, especially on the proposed healthcare legislation. Kathleen Parker of the Washington Post described Brown as “a guy's guy who conveyed genuineness -- the antithesis of everything Americans despise in Washington.”
Genuineness is another word for transparency, something Barak Obama promised but did not deliver. Genuineness conveys honesty, something difficult for many politicians to practice. Genuineness also means authenticity, something few are willing to be – real, approachable, and without pretense. Many are praying that Scott Brown is as genuine as he appears. Many more need to pray that he stays that way.
Proverbs 28:2 says, “When the country is in chaos, everybody has a plan to fix it-- But it takes a leader of real understanding to straighten things out.” (The Message)
Right now, Brown seems to be a real leader with a real understanding of real people. And just like UPS, this Brown drives a truck.
Related Articles and Blogs
- New Indiana Governor Mike Pence Carries Faith Into Office
- For Christians, It’s Never Over
- Former Campus Crusade Staffer Wins House Seat
- Red State Jesus or Blue State Jesus?
- Romney Supporters Target Evangelical Voter Base in Swing States
- Religious Caucuses Slated for 9 States
- Pastor Tony Evans: Bible Is ‘Pregnant With Politics’
More Posts by This Author
- What America Needs: Positive Communication
- Why an Imperfect World?
- Highway Sign Denouncing Homosexuals Causes Stir in Texas
- For Kidnap Victim Gracia Burnham ‘God is Enough’
- House Speaker Boehner Praises Christian Media Leaders, Criticizes Washington
- NRB Convention Opens With Challenge To Christian Communicators
- Christian Communicators To Meet In Nashville