Westboro Baptist Plans To Picket Elizabeth Edwards Funeral
By Chuck Manson | Everyday Christian Publisher
Posted 9:30 am on December 10, 2010
The hate-mongering Westboro Baptist Church clan is at it again.
At a time of year when Christians can shine the light of Jesus through service and sharing the Christmas message, the Fred Phelps clan is planning to picket this weekend's funeral for Elizabeth Edwards. Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, died Tuesday after a long battle with cancer. She is scheduled to be buried Saturday in Raleigh, North Carolina, next to her son Wade, who was killed 14 years ago in a car accident.
Rev. Carl Helm of Marion Christian Church in Kansas has been a target of Westboro Baptist in the past and he offers the following advice to people encountering them:
- Do not approach them
- Do not try to reason with them
- Ignore them as much as possible
- Do not quote scripture
I like point No. 3. Let's just ignore them and get back to focusing on the true meaning of Christmas instead of a small, misguided group of people who choose to share hate over love.
Related Articles and Blogs
- Westboro Baptist Church: Responding To Hate With Love
- Westboro Baptist Is Going To Picket Our Church — We Will Respond
- Supreme Court Deciding If Westboro Exercised A Right…Or A Wrong
- If Pastor Jones Won’t Burn Korans, Phelps Will
More Posts by This Author
- Westboro Baptist Plans To Picket Elizabeth Edwards Funeral
- Pakistan Flooding: How You Can Help
- ‘Letters to God’ Releases on DVD
- ‘To Save a Life’ Debuts on DVD Aug. 3
- Ed Thomas Family Garners Courage Award at ESPYs
- World Gospel Mission Turns 100, Celebrates International Calling
- Lunchtime Links: June 15, 2010