Christmas Lessons From The Gospel Of John
By Rev. Tim Lehmann |
Posted 7:00 am on December 23, 2010
“In the beginning God created heaven and earth.” (Genesis 1:1)
“In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (John 1:1)
“In the beginning…” John begins his account of Jesus’ life with the same words used to open the account of creation. Of course, this makes sense. John goes on to explain that “The Word” who created the entire universe was in fact Jesus (John 1:14; John 1:30).
This time of the year, as we celebrate Jesus’ physical birth, it is a good thing to pause and reflect on the reality of who Jesus is. He is God. He is the Creator of all that is. He is the “light” that makes manifest God's glory to man and the very source of all life. (John 1:14)
The Word came to man, born of a virgin in the little town of Bethlehem. The Word who dwelt in the glory of Heaven voluntarily chose to limit Himself to the linear existence of a man, to experience the pain that a man would experience so that man might be saved. He did all of this for humankind; the majority of which would reject and despise Him.
So, as we celebrate the birth of that little baby, let’s remember that that little baby was born to die so that we could receive eternal life. And all we have to do is accept Him.
Related Articles and Blogs
- Atheists Bring Anti-Christian Message to Times Square
- From Christmas To Easter, How Far Jesus’ Feet Traveled
- ‘Forgotten Christmas’ Campaign Aims to Help Christians Rediscover True Meaning of Season
- Shall We Be Like Shepherds?
- It’s a Wonderful Life, the Sequel
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Receiving Your Gift As A Little Child
More Posts by This Author
- The Truth About Halloween
- Lessons from the Gospel of John: Six Points About Baptism (Part 5)
- Lessons from the Gospel of John: Six Points About Baptism (Part 4)
- Lessons from the Gospel of John: Six Points About Baptism (Part 3)
- Lessons from the Gospel of John: Six Points About Baptism (Part 2)
- Lessons from the Gospel of John: Six Points About Baptism (Part 1)
- Lessons from the Gospel of John: Eternal Life or Eternal Death?