By Brenda Wood | Author and Speaker
Devotions | Monday, August 27, 2012
What do you need? James 4:2b says we do not have because we do not ask. Well then we’d better start asking, hadn’t we?
The Bible has your answer. Do you know how to find it, pray it, or expect it?
1. Randomly flip open the pages and hope for the best. Not advised.
2. Check the concordance in the back of your Bible and look for the word you seek, like forgiveness, strength, healing and so on. Works well but takes some time.
3. Use a book like Joyce Meyer’s “The Secret Power of Speaking God’s Word.” You just look for the help you need and find it under headings like patience, power, diligence or self-control.
4. For the computer enthusiast, go to a site like biblegateway.com and put in the information you want. Up it pops in as many different Bible versions as you like.
5. The best way though, is to read your Bible every day. Mark verses that speak to you. Underline special phrases and use them as a basis for prayer.
For instance, read the following verse. Think about how to pray it
Mark 6:3 – Is not this the Carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not His sisters here among us? And they took offense at Him and were hurt [that is, they disapproved of Him, and it hindered them from acknowledging His authority] and they were caused to stumble and fall (AMP)
Perhaps it would go like this.
Prayer: Lord, we don’t want to hinder your authority in our lives in any way. We don’t want to stumble and fall away from who you are in our lives. Guard us from any offense, hurt or disapproval where you are concerned, Lord. Amen.
“I believe Jesus is the answer to every question.” Brenda Wood is a motivational speaker, writer and author of Heartfelt, 366 Devotions for Common Sense Living. She is also a recovered bulimic who has gained and lost several 1000 pounds over the years! She understands the pain of overweight and the agony of life with an eating disorder. Brenda is known for her common sense wisdom, sense of humor and quirky comments.
Common Sense Devotionals for Every Day of the Year
Everyday Christian is proud to offer daily devotionals from author and inspirational speaker Brenda J. Wood. Get your copy of Heartfelt: 366 Devotions for Common Sense Living today!
More Posts by This Author
- The Truth Hurts
- Finished Product
- Freshly Canned
- On the Truck Too Long?
- Are You a Procaffeinator?
- 40 Pieces of Advice
- Close to Us Forever