What Are You Doing?
By Brenda Wood | Author and Speaker
Devotions | Saturday, September 22, 2012
Pastor Henry Dyck’s advice continues, this time for the congregations. (Find the complete sermon, From this Side of the Fence, at http://www.bfmc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=86).
- Pray, pray, pray for your pastors and then pray some more.
- Submit to their leadership (IF they have shown themselves to be true to the Word of God in all areas of their life)
- Toss out the cookie cutter. Pastors are not all the same.
- Be openly responsive to their ministry and encourage them by telling them so.
- Become involved in church ministry and church life instead of sitting on the sidelines and tossing bricks.
- Stop the gossip. This is a destructive tool of Satan.
- Focus on the big picture. Church is not about us but it is about those who are not here yet.
Let’s think on these things a minute or two. Instead of asking if our pastor is worthy of us, maybe we need to ask if we are worthy of them.
1 Thessalonians 5:12-13-Now also we beseech you, brethren, get to know those who labor among you [recognize them for what they are, acknowledge and appreciate and respect them all]—your leaders who are over you in the Lord and those who warn and kindly reprove and exhort you. And hold them in very high and most affectionate esteem in [intelligent and sympathetic] appreciation of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.
Prayer: Lord, thank you for my pastor, _____________. I ask that you protect them and their families. Help me to be a helpful parishioner, not a whining deviate. For Christ’s Sake. Amen.
“I believe Jesus is the answer to every question.” Brenda Wood is a motivational speaker, writer and author of Heartfelt, 366 Devotions for Common Sense Living. She is also a recovered bulimic who has gained and lost several 1000 pounds over the years! She understands the pain of overweight and the agony of life with an eating disorder. Brenda is known for her common sense wisdom, sense of humor and quirky comments.
Common Sense Devotionals for Every Day of the Year
Everyday Christian is proud to offer daily devotionals from author and inspirational speaker Brenda J. Wood. Get your copy of Heartfelt: 366 Devotions for Common Sense Living today!
More Posts by This Author
- Second Chances
- Stressed Mess
- All Wrapped Up
- Say Thanks
- Jesus Googled
- Weighty Season
- Thoughtful Giving