Homeschooling Ranks Top 2 Million In U.S.
At 7:01 am on January 07, 2011
According to a new study published by the National Home Education Research Institute, the number of children being homeschooled in the U.S. now tops 2 million.
"The growth of the modern homeschool movement has been remarkable," said Michael Smith, president of the Home School Legal Defense Association. "Just 30 years ago there were only an estimated 20,000 homeschooled children."
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there were an estimated 54 million K-12 children in the U.S. in spring 2010 which means homeschoolers account for nearly 4% of the school-aged population, or 1 in 25 children.
The NHERI study used data from both government and private sources in order to arrive at the two million figure.
Related Articles and Blogs
- Indiana Lawmaker Pushes for Academic Freedom in Evolution/Creation Debate
- Parenting Minute By Minute
- Majority Of Teens Want To Be Virgins When Married
- Is Handwriting On The Wall For Cursive?
- Barna Research Shows Self-Centeredness Of New Year’s Resolutions
- More Americans Celebrating Christmas, Observing Its Religious Meaning
- Tweet Your Way To A Scholarship