Here is my confession of failure. I know nothing much about gardening and I don’t even care to. I prefer to garden the human heart.
Here are my gardening instructions for the human heart.
1. Let God prepare the soil of your heart and soften your hard lumps.
2. Remove anything that threatens to control you.
3. Add lots of prayer so sin won’t creep in.
4. Let God make your paths straight.
Then it occurred to me that God gardens pretty much the way I should be out there in my dirt.
1. Prepare the soil properly before planting. Break up hard lumps.
2. Don’t plant things that spread wildly and take over your garden.
3. Mulch so that you won’t have to water and weed so often.
4. Put in sensible walkways.
Yes indeed; this sounds just like life with God doesn’t it?
Can papyrus grow tall where there is no marsh? Can reeds thrive without water? While still growing and uncut, they wither more quickly than grass. Such is the destiny of all who forget God; so perishes the hope of the godless. (Job 8:11-13, NIV)
Prayer- Father, help each of us garden your way in both heart and dirt. Amen.