Why is TLC's ‘Sister Wives‘ so popular? What is at the root of why a woman would engage in polygamy or a plural marriage? What does God's Word say about Mormonism?
While teaching Andy Stanley's Twisting the Truth Small Group Curriculum to our ladies Bible study, I focused on this subject and was surprised by the results. I struggled with the thought process of women who engage in polygamist marriages.
This was a subject I had to explore.
I began to research this topic of polygamy and why any woman in her right mind would not only engage in but promote and endorse it. My research lead me to the heart of the matter. In my opinion, the twist on this topic factors down to this one verse:
“For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”
– I Timothy 6:10
In the article ‘Why Do Women Choose Polygamy?’ posted on Principle Voices, a fundamentalist Mormon Web site, I found the following statements. Please note the emphasis on rewards and/or status.
- She believes that plural marriage is a divine and holy law, absolutely essential, not optional, for the rewards promised.
- She believes that a monogamous marriage, even though it may be solemnized in a temple, is insufficient for her to achieve the promised rewards.
- She believes plural marriage is one of the laws of God designed to help her achieve her full potential, including her rightful status as a goddess in conjunction with her husband as a god.
- She believes that the rewards for living plural marriage within the above context are immense and worth the effort.
Further on this website and from the ‘Handout‘ section, a summary list of reasons why women choose polygamy. Included are 15 reasons, please note the following reason and the emphasis on status and/or rewards.
- To live so as to gain greater eternal rewards and blessings.
- To qualify for exaltation in the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom.
In ‘The Paradox of Polygamy‘ posted on Psychology.com, the mindset of these women is revealed. When asked if they would rather be wife 2, 3, 4 etc., to Matt Damon or be monogamous with Willard Scott, the answer was clear.
Many women are willing to share a husband of means (financially, professionally, socially) rather than devote their lives to a blue-collar worker. So the net-net not only in the literature but also in the concepts these women have is basically rewards, the love of money.
What is the twisted thinking in polygamy? For women, it seems to be to convince them of a secure future both now on this Earth and in the next life. It is a works-based concept of God.
Am I railing and lashing out at these women who appear on Sister Wives? No, just considering their motives against what Scripture reveals about rewards and realizing that the deception they are experiencing is the same as it was in the garden.
Consider this, the serpent suggested gain to Eve. He lied to her by saying “For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.” – (Genesis 3:5)
Eve wanted to be like God, who wouldn’t?
The prayer lifted up by Andy Stanley is a good one. It is something to pray for each and every day.
“Remove far from me vanity and lies..”
– Proverbs 30:8
Need some biblical references against polygamy? Here are a few. Join the conversation. Add yours to the comments.
- Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
- Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
– Romans 13:1-2
- And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation.
– Exodus 19:6
- A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife…
– I Timothy 3:2
- Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
– I Timothy 3:12
The Sister Wives: