Jacob wanted to be buried in the family tomb.
Then he gave them these instructions:
- “I am about to be gathered to my people.
- Bury me with my fathers in the cave in the field of Ephron the Hittite,
- The cave in the field of Machpelah, near Mamre in Canaan,
- Which Abraham bought along with the field as a burial place from Ephron the Hittite.
- There Abraham and his wife Sarah were buried,
- there Isaac and his wife Rebekah were buried,
- and there I buried Leah. (Genesis 49: 29-31, AMP)
Why was that so important to him? No doubt he wanted to be buried with his family. Everyone yearns for connection, even in death. They want to be buried with those they love. (Interesting that Jacob was buried with Leah… perhaps he did come to love her after all.)
Of course the tomb was located in Canaan, the Promised Land. Who wouldn’t want to be buried with God’s promise in mind?
That’s how it is for us today. We want to be buried with our relatives and if we know Jesus as our personal Saviour, we too are buried with the promise to life to come.
Prayer – Father, when our time comes, we thank you that we who have a personal relationship with Jesus, will have eternal life with you. Amen