How do you know its time to replace your car, your blender or your underwear? Some simple rules apply.
- You are prepared and don’t care about the item breaking down just when you need it. (Ask how that turned out with my stove on a Thanksgiving Day with a turkey to cook!)
- You can’t sell it for enough to make it worthwhile. (What is worthwhile?)
- Everything seems to be working OK. (i.e.- the elastic is holding!)
- It’s paid for.
- You have taken good care of the item and kept it up to date, honored the warranty.
Now how about your relationship with the Christ?
- You expect God to keep up his end of the deal, no matter what you do.
- You can’t sell it because you never bought it. It is God’s free gift to you.
- So far so good…the elastic is worn but won’t snap for a bit.
- Yes, it is paid for by the Christ who died on behalf of your sins.
- Here is the kicker…how have you been maintaining the warranty?
Jesus said, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.’ This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ These two commands are pegs; everything in God’s Law and the Prophets hangs from them.” (Matthew 22:37040, MSG)
Prayer- Lord, forgive us for taking you for granted. Amen.