It doesn’t matter if you are a new or mature Christian, young or old; you can have fulfilling and meaningful quiet moments with God. Consider these ways to revitalize your daily quiet time with God.
Enjoy Quiet Time with God
Make each quiet moment a pleasurable experience instead of a duty. Prepare your emotions, mind and body before you begin. Approach each instance with anticipation that God is going to reveal more of Himself to you each day.
Having a relationship with God is dynamic, and your quiet time should reflect this. Sometimes it will be spontaneous and filled with rich sweetness; other times it may require determination to just get away for a quiet moment. God understands these ebbs and flows; so don’t fret over the amount of time you spend or feel guilty.
Fill Your Quiet Time with Variety
Keep your quiet time fresh and vibrant by varying the things you do. While you may enjoy structure and routine, avoid doing the same thing over and over until it becomes a boring habit or an obligation. God likes creativity, spontaneity and a change of pace that keeps your relationship with Him crisp and new. Consider these suggestions to add variety to your quiet moments.
- Be silent and listen to God speak to you for an entire quiet time (Psalm 46:10).
- Read out loud from a favorite passage of Scripture. Emphasize each word or phrase and think about its application to your life circumstances (Psalm 150).
- Sing Scriptures to the Lord; after all, He rejoices over you with singing (Zephaniah 3:17).
- Make a prayer list of family, friends, neighbors, community, the leaders of the state and country where you live. Pray for the people on your list without ceasing for an entire quiet time (1 Thessalonians 5:17).
- Use a daily devotional to focus Scripture reading, prayer and praise (Psalm 1:2).
Jumpstart Your Day
The best time for having quiet moments with God is in the morning right after you turn off the alarm clock. As you sit up in bed and before placing your feet on the floor, take a few moments to praise and thank God for another day. Ask Him to arrange your activities and set your schedule according to His purposes for you for that day. Continue to pray as you get out of bed, shower and get dressed. Allow God to refresh and renew your spirit, soul and body for the coming day. You’ve just had a quiet time and special moment with God; now go forth!