Do you ever laugh out loud at the wording of some signage? Here are a few for your funny bone.
- Notice in health food shop window: Closed because of illness!
- Kids make great snacks!
- After tea break, empty teapot and stand upside down in sink!
- We buy everything. Bring your spouse in for a bargain!
- Trespassers use field for free, but bull charges.
- If you can’t read, this ad will tell you where to get lessons.
- Police plan to run down jaywalkers.
- New obesity study looks for larger test group of participants.
Did you get the humor in all of them or must I explain? Perhaps it is the same reason we don’t pay attention to the signage God gives us everyday.
He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away. (Matthew 16:2-4, NIV)
And what is the sign of Jonah? Jonah was encased in the belly of large fish for three days and was then technically returned to life when the large fish spit him out.
Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (Jonah 1:17, 2:10, NIV)
Jesus is speaking of his own death and resurrection on our behalf. Indeed nothing to laugh about.
Prayer- Father, open our eyes to know what you are saying. Amen.