Yes, friends there are phonies in our midst. Here are the highlights from the Book of Jude. I suggest you prayerfully read the whole chapter on your own.
- I’ve dropped everything to write you about this life of salvation that we have in common.
- I write insisting—begging! —that you fight with everything you have in you for this faith.
- Some people have infiltrated our ranks (our Scriptures warned us this would happen).
- Beneath their pious skin are shameless scoundrels.
- Their design is to replace the sheer grace of God with sheer license.
- Which means doing away with Jesus Christ, our one and only Master.
- I’m laying this out as clearly as I can.
- Even though you once knew all this well enough and shouldn’t need reminding.
- The Master saved a people out of Egypt. Later he destroyed those who defected.
- These people sneer at anything they can’t understand.
- Do whatever they feel like doing.
- Live by animal instinct only—they participate in their own destruction.
- They’re giving you a black eye.
- These are the bellyachers, grabbing for the biggest piece of the pie.
- Talking big, saying anything they think will get them ahead.
- Make a religion of their own whims and lusts.”
- These ones split churches, thinking only of themselves. There’s no sign of the Spirit!
Prayer-Lord Jesus, we determine to build ourselves up, praying in the Holy Spirit, staying at the center of God’s love, keeping our arms open and outstretched, ready for your mercy. This is the unending life, the real life! (Devotional from Book of Jude, MSG)