Question: How did you and I contribute to the loss of almost 1 1/2 billion tons of food last year? Answer: We each wasted about 220 pounds!
Is this you? “We never eat leftovers. I cooked too much. It spoiled so I threw it out. The kids wouldn’t eat it.!)”
Not in Jesus’ day. People couldn’t afford to be picky and they never wasted anything.
John 6:12-13- When they had all had enough, He said to His disciples, Gather up now the fragments (the broken pieces that are left over), so that nothing may be lost and wasted. So accordingly they gathered them up, and they filled twelve [small hand] baskets with fragments left over by those who had eaten from the five barley loaves (AMP).
Here are some ‘save your food/ money’ ideas.
- Toss Sunday’s leftover roast dinner bits together for a stew or stir fry.
- Not enough gravy for #2? Save/freeze leftover gravies to have on hand for that
- Freeze leftover vegetables, gravy etc. When you have enough, see #2, #4.
- Crock pot + vegetables, bits of meat, noodles or rice, bouillon= designer soup.
- Grate dried ends of cheese to mix with the bread crumbs. (# 6)
- Food processor + leftover crackers, tortilla or potato chips, dry bread= crumb toppings.
- Freezer burn is not poisonous.
Now since we want to follow in our Lord’s footsteps…(We do, don’t we)?
Prayer: Lord, help us to be better stewards of all you have provided. In Christ’s name. Amen.
Be First to Comment