Most of us spend more time reading the Bible than studying it. If we are speed readers, we can gallop along at a furious pace and not learn a thing. Let’s slow down for a moment and ask ourselves what we can learn from Mark 1:1-8. I am using the Amplified version.
1. Verse 1- Jesus is the Son of God, sent by God.
2. Verse 2-God sent John the Baptist to make the path ready for Christ. (Confirmed in Isaiah).
3. Verse 3- John’s message- Prepare the way of the Lord
4. Verse 3- John appeared in the dessert preaching:
– Obligating repentance
– Changing one’s mind for the better,
– Heartily amending one’s ways
-Abhorring past sins in order to have forgiveness and release from sins
5. Verse 5- Everybody went to hear the message.
– They were baptized while they confessed their sins.
6. Verse 6- John wore the simplest clothing and ate what was available.
7. Verse 7- John’s message?
-There is One coming who is stronger, more powerful and more valiant than me.
-I’m not even worthy to touch his sandals.
8. Verse 8- John baptized with water but Christ will baptize with the Holy Spirit.
Think on that for the next 24 hours. Tomorrow we go deeper.
Prayer- Lord, lead us into deeper fellowship with you. Teach us what you are saying to us and then help us obey. For the Christ, whose forerunner was John the Baptist. Amen.